Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Porch


It’s funny that I would name my blog Dinner on the Porch when it has officially gotten too hot in Houston to actually do so – have dinner on the porch, that is. With the temperatures soaring to the triple digits, I longingly look out our family room doors at my favorite room (not) in the house. I guess the only thing I can hope for over the next several months are some rain showers to cool the air enough to sit out there.

Porches have always been a favorite of mine. Whether screened or not, front of the house or in the back, they seem to invite you to slow down, sit a while, watch the world, say hello to the neighbors, listen to the birds… I remember being a kid in the house I grew up in Valrico, Florida and loving the screened porch located off of our family room. We, my older sister and I, always wanted to sleep out there when the weather was cool enough. We’d put blankets on the folding lounge chairs and turn them into our beds.  I even had my 10th birthday party on that screened porch.

Who knows, it’s probably that old-fashioned side of me that also adores old houses…so old the wood floors creak and the windows are single-paned with that old wavy glass.  And being on the porch is like a little vacation from the house, from the every day beckoning of work and the to-dos of life, and definitely one of my favorite places.

No comments:

Post a Comment